Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e
Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e
- Author: John Langan
- SKU/ISBN: 978-1-59194-552-9
- Year: 2019
- Page count: 330
- Reading level: 8-12
- Weight: 1.35 lb
- Availability: In stock
The purpose of Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e is to help teach students, in a step-by-step way, the essential skills needed to think and write with clarity. Featuring expanded chapter content from the previous edition, the book also includes guidance on the writing process, common writing patterns, argumentation in writing, and information on writing a research paper. The last part of the text serves as a grammar and punctuation handbook, teaching students these critical skills that are part of good writing. Get a full brochure here.
Emphasis on clear thinking. A basic truth at the heart of any thoughtful communication of ideas is that (1) a point is made and (2) that point is supported. Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e presents what students need to do to become better thinkers and writers. Here is what's covered in the book:
- Part One focuses on the two basic steps in clear thinking and effective writing: making a point and supporting that point. When students understand the difference between point and support, they have the groundwork they need to think and write clearly. Part One also explains and illustrates the steps in the process of writing both paragraphs and essays. *Note: An instructional video that illustrates the book's basic principle of making and supporting a point is available as a resource for students.
- Part Two introduces and provides practice in common writing patterns. In addition, students will learn how to research a topic. They will also be given a wide range of writing assignments to apply what they've learned.
- Part Three features a complete grammar and punctuation handbook. Most handbook chapters begin with a short review to determine if students need to work on a particular skill. If they do, the chapter will teach them what they need to know and provide activities and tests so they can learn in the best possible way--through doing.
Frequent practice. Abundant practice is essential to learning, so this book includes numerous writing activities: personal and objective paragraphs and essays as well as research topics.
High interest level. Dull and unvaried practices and assignments work against learning. Students need to experience genuine interest in the practice materials they work through and a diversity of choices in the assignments they write. The book provides compelling content as well as a wide range of assignments.
Ease of use. The logical sequence in the chapters--from clear explanation to example to practice to mastery test--helps make every aspect of writing easier to teach.
Instructor's edition. An Instructor's Edition is identical to the student book except that it also provides answers to all the practices and tests as well as comments on selected answers. To request your copy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (888) 752-6410.
Digital Options: Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e will also be available as a digital program (coming May 2019), English Plus. A subscription to English Plus provides access to:
- An eBook of Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e
- eBooks of our acclaimed grammar titles, English Essentials and English Essentials, Short Version, 2/e
- More than 100 digital grammar exercises and tests
- Twenty-five online tests offering practice in the basics of clear and logical thinking
- Five reading selections, each with comprehension and discussion questions and writing assignments
- A regularly updated collection of bonus readings that address topics of concern in our ever-changing world
*Note: Students must have a paid subscription to access English Plus materials. Click here to learn more about subscription options, including discounted digital/textbook bundles.
Changes in the Second Edition
Digital Content. Assignments, exercises, tests, critical thinking activities, and writing assignments to accompany Clear Thinking and Writing, 2/e are available to instructors and to students with a subscription to English Plus.
Expanded Part Two. In this section, common writing patterns and practices are introduced. Students will learn how to research a topic and will be given a wide range of writing assignments to practice what they've learned.
A new Part Three. This section features a complete grammar and punctuation handbook. Chapters begin with a short introduction of each skill and contain activities and tests to help reinforce students' knowledge of the skill.
Table of Contents
To the Instructor
To the Student
PART ONE The Basics of Clear Thinking and Writing
1 An Introduction to Point and Support
2 Point and Support in Paragraphs and Essays
3 Understanding the Writing Process
PART TWO Writing Patterns and Practice
4 Relationships in Writing
5 More Relationships in Writing
6 Argument in Writing
7 Writing a Research Paper with Sources
8 A Variety of Writing Assignments
PART THREE A Handbook of Grammar, Punctuation, and Usage
9 Subjects and Verbs
10 Irregular Verbs
11 Subject-Verb Agreement
12 Sentence Types
13 Fragments I
14 Fragments II
15 Run-Ons and Comma Splices I
16 Run-Ons and Comma Splices II
19 Quotation Marks
21 Capital Letters
23 Preparing a Paper
24 Punctuation Marks
25 Pronoun Forms
26 Pronoun Problems
27 Adjectives and Adverbs
28 Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers
29 Word Choice
30 Numbers and Abbreviations
31 More about Subjects and Verbs
32 More about Subject-Verb Agreement
33 More about Verbs: Tenses
34 Even More about Verbs
35 More about Run-Ons and Comma Splices
36 More about Commas
37 More about Apostrophes
38 More about Quotation Marks
39 More about Homonyms
40 More about Capital Letters