Sister to Sister
Want students to read more? So does Townsend Press. That's why we created the Townsend Library—a collection of high-interest paperbacks that engage readers. These books feature compelling human stories and include an afterword and author commentary to deepen readers' enjoyment. Acclaimed by educators and readers alike, each Townsend Library book is available to schools for $2.
About Sister to Sister
Big sisters are treasures in our lives. They care for us, comfort us, laugh with us, sometimes scold us, but most important, they know and love us in a way nobody else can. As you read through the pages of Sister to Sister, you will find a whole book full of such treasures--warm, wise, and loving "big sisters" who are reaching out to you.
Here are a few of the ten women you will meet in the book . . .
• Jean Sutton, now a successful executive, who writes about what her father's death and family's poverty taught her about hard work, men, and marriage;
• Yolanda Easley, whose experience at a mostly white college helped to teach her about being Black;
• Marcia Lyles, a top education official, who learned firsthand how low expectations can cripple minority students;
• Julia Burney-Witherspoon, a recipient of an Oprah Winfrey "Use Your Life Award", who pulls no punches as she talks about what mothers owe their children;
• Lina Buffington, a super-achiever whose confident exterior hid a painful inner secret.
These "sisters" and others have opened their hearts and lives to you. They invite you to sit with them, laugh and cry with them, and reflect on your own journey as a beautiful Black woman.