Groundwork for College Reading with Phonics, 5/e
Featuring major chapter additions, freshened content, and enhanced visual appeal, this revised edition of Groundwork for College Reading with Phonics is ideal for students and adult learners in a very basic developmental reading or ESL course.
Key Features of the Ten Steps Series
Focus on the basics. The book is designed to explain, in a clear, step-by-step way, the essential elements of each skill. Many examples are provided to ensure that students understand each point. In general, the focus is on teaching the skills—not just on explaining them and not just on testing them.
Frequent practice and feedback. Because abundant practice and careful feedback are essential to learning, this book includes numerous activities. Students can get immediate feedback on the practice exercises in Part One by turning to the limited answer key at the back of the book. The answers to the review and mastery tests in Part One, the reading questions in Part Two, and the relationships and combined-skills tests in Part Three are in the Instructor’s Edition and the Instructor's Manual.
High interest level. Dull and unvaried readings and exercises work against learning. Students need to experience genuine interest and enjoyment in what they read. Teachers as well should be able to take pleasure in the selections, for their own good feeling about them can carry over favorably into class work. The readings in the book, then, have been chosen not only for the appropriateness of their reading level but also for their compelling content. They should engage students and teachers alike.
Ease of use. The logical sequence in each chapter—from explanation to example to practice to review tests to mastery tests—helps make the skills easy to teach. The book’s organization into distinct parts also makes for ease of use. Within a single class, for instance, instructors can work on a particular skill in Part One, review another skill with one or more mastery tests, and provide variety by having students read one of the selections in Part Two. The limited answer key at the back of the book also makes for versatility: the teacher can assign parts of some chapters for self-teaching. Finally, the mastery tests—each on its own tear-out page—and the combined-skills tests make it a simple matter for a teacher to test and evaluate student progress.
Integration of skills. Students do more than learn the skills individually in Part One. They also learn to apply the skills together through the reading selections in Parts One and Two as well as the combined-skills tests in Part Three. They become effective readers and thinkers through repeated practice in applying a combination of skills.
Thinking activities. Thinking activities—in the form of outlining, mapping, and summarizing—are a distinctive feature of the book. In addition, four discussion questions at the end of each reading selection encourage student reflection, as do the writing activities that are provided for each selection.
Available electronic resources. This text can be purchased with Ten Steps Plus, a subscription-based collection of digital materials including interactive exercises, mastery tests, assessments, bonus readings, instructional videos, eBooks* of the entire Ten Steps Series, and more than 100 Townsend Library titles. Click here to learn more about subscription options, including discounted digital/textbook bundles.
*eBooks are not included with Ten Steps Plus LE (Limited Edition).
Efficacy Report. Results from a study that examined the impact of the Townsend Press Ten Steps Series on students' reading skills in higher education developmental reading courses are available (full report, short report). This study was conducted by an independent research firm.
Changes in the Fifth Edition
• A full-color design. Color has been carefully used throughout, not as window dressing but to add clarity and readability to the different parts of the book.
• Enhanced cartoons and other graphics. Because so many students today are visual learners, over fifty illustrations have been added to help introduce or reinforce points made in the book.
• New readings. Four new readings have been added to the book. In addition, five other readings have been updated.
• Five relationships tests have been added to strengthen students’ reading and thinking skills.
• Added combined-skills tests.
• An expanded offer for free books.
• And a freshening of practice materials throughout.
• Ten Steps Plus, an enhanced collection of digital resources, can be purchased in a bundle with this book at a significant discount.
Table of Contents
Preface: To the Instructor
How to Become a Better Reader and Thinker
Phonics and Word Parts
Reading: The Struggle Continues Juan Angel
Reading: A Lesson in Love Casey Hawley
Reading: Friendship and Living Longer Vicky Chan
4 Word Parts
Reading: From Horror to Hope Phany Sarann
Ten Steps to College Reading
1 Getting Started
Reading: A Parent Gets a Reading Lesson Lucia Herndon
2 Dictionary Use
Reading: Discovering Words Malcolm X
3 Vocabulary in Context
Reading: One Less Sucker Lives Jeanne R. Smith
4 Main Ideas
Reading: Classroom Notetaking Robin White
5 Supporting Details
Reading: Winning the Job Interview Game Marcia Prentergast
6 Finding Main Ideas
Reading: Learning Survival Skills Jean Coleman
7 Signal Words I
Reading: Migrant Child to College Woman Maria Cardenas
8 Signal Words II
Reading: Life Over Death Bill Broderick
Reading: Dare to Think Big Dr. Ben Carson
10 The Basics of Argument
Reading: The Shocking State of the American Diet Adam Taylor
Ten Reading Selections
- 1. Learning to Read: The Marvel Kretzmann Story Mary Sherry
- 2. The Blind Vet Gail Hoffman
- 3. The Fist, the Clay, and the Rock Donald Holland
- 4. It's Not My Fault Roger Kennedy
- 5. Joe Davis: A Cool Man Beth Johnson
- 6. Rosa: A Success Story Edward Patrick
- 7. The Lady, or the Tiger? Frank R. Stockton
- 8. Dawn's Story Nancy Kerns
- 9. Knowledge Is Power Anna-Maria Petricic
- 10. What I Believe John Langan
Relationships and Combined Skills
- Relationship Tests
- Combined Skills Tests
Limited Answer Key
Reading Performance Chart
Like all Ten Steps texts, this edition features an annotated Instructor’s Edition, which is identical to the student book except that it provides answers to all the practices and tests. In addition, the Instructor's Edition includes useful hints for teachers as well instructive annotation to help scaffold lessons. No other book on the market has such detailed and helpful annotations.
1. A downloadable Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank includes suggestions for teaching, a model syllabus, and readability levels for the text and the reading selections. The test bank contains four additional mastery tests for each of the skills chapters in Part I—all on letter-sized sheets so they can be copied easily for use with students. This resource is available to all instructors in the Learning Center.
2. Downloadable PowerPoint presentations have been crafted to teach key skills and concepts directly to students. These PowerPoints are available free to instructors in the Learning Center.
3. Ten Steps Plus is a powerful subscription-based collection of digital resources for your college reading or college readiness program. Based on the acclaimed pedagogy of the Ten Steps Series, Ten Steps Plus is a digital suite of exercises, mastery tests, assessments, and instructional videos; a Skills Bank; a Readings Bank; and eBooks* of the entire Ten Steps Series and more than 100 Townsend Library titles. Note: Students must have a paid subscription to access Ten Steps Plus materials. Click here to learn more about subscription options, including discounted digital/textbook bundles.
* eBooks are not included with Ten Steps Plus LE (Limited Edition).
To Obtain Supplements
Print supplements can be obtained quickly by calling Townsend Press (1-800-772-6410), by sending a fax on school letterhead to 1-800-225-8894, or by e-mailing Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org. Digital supplements are free to educators with a valid instructor account in the Learning Center. Get yours here.