Building Vocabulary Skills, Short Version, 5/e
When class time for vocabulary study limited, the short versions of the books provide an easier, more manageable approach to vocabulary development. Using the same words-in-context approach as the full texts, the short versions each teach 200 essential words. (In contrast, each main book teaches 260 words and 40 word parts.) In addition, short version books and Vocabulary Plus book bundles sell for $2.00 less than the full versions.
An Intensive Words-in-Context Approach. Studies show that students learn words best by seeing them repeatedly in different contexts, not through rote memorization. The books present each word in at least six different contexts. Every encounter increases the chance that a word will become part of a student's permanent word bank.
Abundant Practice. In addition to the extensive practice in each chapter, there are unit tests and a crossword puzzle review. Moreover, most chapters repeat words from earlier chapters, allowing for even more reinforcement. And there are added tests in the Test Bank and the Online Learning Center that come with each book. All this practice means that students learn in the best possible way: by working closely and repeatedly with each word.
Appealing Content. Dull practice materials work against learning. The lively content and clear and friendly style of the books make learning easier for students.
Emphasis on Key Words. In creating the Vocabulary Series, our editors combined teaching experience with a number of word frequency lists to determine the best words for each book. The result is a core of essential words, sequenced in order of difficulty, that are most helpful for students to know.
Realistic Pricing. The books offer the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price: all of the Short Version books sell for $9.90 net, and the bundle prices are just $5 more. The modest price means that the books can serve as inexpensive supplements for any reading or writing course.
Outstanding Supplements. Supplements include a Vocabulary Placement Test, an Instructor's Edition, a combined Instructor's Manual and Test Bank, and online exercises that teach as well as test.
Digital Options. This textbook can be bundled with Vocabulary Plus, a powerful online vocabulary-building program that brings ALL the content of our famously clear, user friendly, Vocabulary Series directly to your tablet, smartphone, or computer. Download a complete brochure to learn more, or visit the Learning Center.
*Note: Students must have a paid subscription to access Vocabulary Plus materials. Click here to learn more about subscription options, including discounted digital/textbook bundles.
New Features include:
- Hundreds of new items
- Photos added to chapter readings
- Updated digital content
- Contemporary design
- Broader, universal appeal for a wide range of readers
- Resequenced chapter and test items
Building Vocabulary Skills, Short Version, 5/e includes the following supplements:
• An Instructor’s Edition. This full-length text is identical to the student edition except that it contains answers to all the book's practice and test items.
• A combined Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank. This valuable supplement includes a model syllabus and suggestions for teaching with the text. It also contains: pretests and posttests for the entire book and each unit in the book, an extra mastery test for each chapter, and an extra unit test for each unit. Answers to all the book's activities and all the supplemental tests are included as well.
• The Learning Center. A powerful web-based resource, the Learning Center features exercises, tests, PowerPoint files, and an electronic (PDF) edition of the Instructor's Manual and Test Bank to accompany this book. Along with these free materials, the Learning Center also hosts Vocabulary Plus, a comprehensive subscription-based word-building program that brings all the content of our vocabulary text to students' fingertips. Learn more here.
Print supplements can be obtained quickly by calling Townsend Press toll-free at (800) 772-6410, by sending a fax on school letterhead to 1-800-225-8894, or by e-mailing Customer Service at email@example.com.