English Essentials Plus - Student Access (e-mailed)
About English Essentials and English Essentials, Short Version, 2/e
Several features make English Essentials different from other grammar texts on the market:
1 Ease of Use.
• Part One focuses on fourteen grammar and punctuation skills that students most need to write well. Once students master the basics, they can go on to Part Two, which includes secondary information about a number of skills. The materials in Parts Three and Four may be introduced at any time during the course. It is better to learn a step at a time than to risk confusion by trying to learn everything at once. For example, dependent-word fragments are the subject of one chapter; other common types of fragments appear in a second chapter. The most common homonyms are covered in Part One; other homonyms follow in a “More about Homonyms” section in Part Two.
• Each skill is explained in a one-page review that students can read and understand fairly quickly. Once they have grasped this basic material, they can go on to learn more about the skill and practice using the skill.
• Explanations are written in simple, familiar language, with a real emphasis on clarity and a minimum of grammatical terminology.
• The book is written in a friendly and helpful tone of voice—one that never condescends to students, but instead treats them as adults.
2 Abundant practice.
The book is based on the assumption that students learn best when clear explanations are followed by abundant practice. For each chapter in Part One, there is a practice activity followed by four full-page tests. The last two tests are designed to resemble standardized tests and permit easy grading.
3 Engaging materials.
Lively and engaging examples and practice materials will help maintain student interest throughout the book.
4 Reasonable price.
The low cost of the book makes it an attractive consumable. It can be be given outright to students for marking up, writing answers, tearing out pages, and the like. Teachers will no longer have to spend valuable time preparing handouts for use in class.
5 Free instructor supplements.
• A printed Instructor's Edition, identical to the student copy but featuring answers to all items in the text, is available to educators who adopt the text for class.
• An electronic Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank that includes teaching hints, diagnostic and achievement tests, a full answer key, and a bank of additional mastery tests is available to educators in the supplements page on the Learning Center.
In short, English Essentials is designed as a core worktext that will both engage the interest of today’s students and help them truly master the skills they need for writing well.